The fundamental purpose of an earthing system is to provide a safe return path for fault currents. When an earth fault strikes on a high voltage system, the fault current generates a voltage at the source of the fault. This voltage can be raised to dangerous levels, which can pose a hazard to personnel working within the compound and to members of the public nearby the high voltage asset.
The earthing system is designed and engineered to perform safely during earth fault conditions. However it is also critical that commissioning and routine testing is undertaken to validate and ensure safety.
Aptus Power have the capabilities to provide world class testing, commissioning and advisory services utilising industry leading test equipment and software. We work together with our clients to tailor a testing program that meets their financial objectives, while ensuring the proper performance of their earthing systems and the compliance with local and international safety regulations and standards.
The following activities are conducted as part of an earthing and lightning protection review:
- Touch, step and transferred voltage hazard measurements
- Determination of individual and overall earthing system impedance
- Determination of lightning protection earthing impedance and physical integrity
- Determination of earth potential rise (EPR) contours
- Soil resistivity testing
- Continuity of equipment earth connections
- Visual inspections
- Current distribution measurements
- Determination of earth grid conductor sizing suitability
- Assessment of switchyard surfacing